Sunday, February 3, 2013


Week 4- Digital Citizenship





We live in a rapidly changing media and tech world in which kids are far more plugged in digitally than parents and teachers are, and these technologies present huge challenges for our kids and how they grow up. Digital dramas can have a lasting effect on a teen’s life. But parents and educators can make a real impact on the future of teens growing up in a digital world.
In my opinion after I read article about (Teaching Digital Citizenship in the Elementary Classroom) students in elementary should be taught social media/internet etiquette as a starting at a young age and retaught regularly throughout their schooling.  Also, I think make a very important point when you say this topic must be visited and revisited over and over again. Just like any other social skills, it takes time for students to internalize the concepts of digital citizenship as they grow and mature. In addition, there is no excuse for allowing students in elementary to enter into the digital world without a toolkit for not only safety but also success.

After I read article about  (Media and Digital Literacy: Resources for Parents) I think that media digital has truly become the other parent in our kids' lives, powerfully affecting their mental, physical, and social development and in teaching our kids to be savvy, respectful and responsible media interpreters, creators, and communicators.  Also, I think we can’t cover their eyes but we can teach them to see and parents should have a choice and a voice about the media our kids consume and create. Every family is different but all need information.  In addition, social media and digital like Facebook and Twitter are fundamentally changing how we communicate and could also be subtly changing our behavior. The danger of technology is more than the way it changes us, but the way it changes us without our really knowing.  Moreover، why is it the schools responsibility to see that children have some sense of decent behavior? Since when does being mean, cruel or rude, become less so just because it's in digital form and not in face to face interaction? Those are defects in character not a lack on understanding about the proper use of technology.

After I read article about (The Importance of Teaching Digital Citizenship) I think teaching digital citizenship in school is important because address the diverse needs of all learners by using learner-centered strategies providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools and resources and promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information.  Also, there is so much education that needs to be done and the most part, kids who are in college today never received any form of digital citizenship or media training when they were in high school or middle school.  Moreover, the teacher presently has to define rules of online etiquette, social media conduct and personal boundaries, given the speed at which advancements now arrive and online trends shift. That is also problematic for parents, who are expected to lead by example. As ever, the answer lies with education. But there’s a widening chasm appearing between the reality of connected life and the lack of online awareness being provided by our school system.




I think the digital footprint is a trail that is left behind after an individual’s use of media; this could be online, through a mobile telephone, through email and other kinds of media. What you write stays there and once deleted can still is traced. It is important to ensure the content of which you are the author does not offend, abuse or upset other people. In my opinion everyone can provide equal access to the digital world to all learners in the classroom setting it's easy, it's totally in your control.  The teachers who can control and obligation to ensure that each learner has equal access to the digital mediums that you provide. Also, means ensuring all students have quality time with digital technology to complete their assignments and tasks. Moreover, involves having a teacher who is skilled in using the technology and knows how to incorporate it, and then pass that expertise on to the students. 

In addition, digital citizenship is usually defined as the norms of behavior with regard to technology use. It encompasses digital literacy, ethics, etiquette, online safety, norms, rights, culture and more. The students have the know-how about using technology; they still need guidance and wisdom from adults, teachers, and parents on how to use it appropriately. Especially when the Internet is such a dangerous place, or as you say "is an outlet to many new avenues.  I believe that teachers need to come to the realization that students no longer need to be taught the basic applications of technology, but teachers need to teach students the appropriate, effective, and responsible use of online tools. In addition, teachers need to help students grow into a digital citizen. The ability to correctly use technology for both personally and academically is a necessary component of digital citizenship.






Voki about Digital Citizenship https://sites.google.com/a/baliis.net/2014-andrew-ranslam-digital-citizen/home/information-facts http://vimeo.com/23903009 http://www.digitalcitizenship.net/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpFhHt82m0k&blend=10&ob=5&lr=1

2 comments:

  1. good post Mayssah,
    I agree with you "teaching digital citizenship in school is important" Students to be good citizens in the digital world you must teach from teachers and parents on how be respectful and courteous to each other online as well as offline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post! I especially like this sentence.
    "I believe that teachers need to come to the realization that students no longer need to be taught the basic applications of technology, but teachers need to teach students the appropriate, effective, and responsible use of online tools."

    I totally agree! I often get hung up with the mechanics of technology. Children today are very skilled with the mechanics of technology. I think educators need to pay more attention to teaching and modelling digital responsibility and appropriate use of technology.

    ReplyDelete